Wednesday 26 April 2023

All aboard there’s lots to see - woyww725


All aboard its full steam ahead


We spent a lovely day aboard the Northern Belle Train being entertained
and eating the most delicious five course meal while the train trundled
along from Manchester Victoria, picking us up in Rochdale then heading
upto Yorkshire and completing the loop back via Cumbria. I even went so
far as having a little tipple of champagne. It would have been rude not to.

There’s a great series on the telly on Monday nights on More 4 about
the worlds most luxurious trains.  Watch it, you’ll get a real feel of
the trip we had.  It’s an amazing experience.


On Sunday we attended the fabulous annual Manchester
Antique & Vintage Textile Fair, hosted by The Textile Society.


Met up with the very talented ceramic artist Karen Shapley, who
is also a textile vintage trader.
Oh yes I may just have taken home this lovely vintage petticoat.

Karen Shapley Ceramics Link


Now if you are not into textiles or Japanese culture you may not
understand why I am so drawn to this amazing piece of Boro.
It is over a hundred years old and is the result of the Japanese
belief in repair and reuse.

Pieces of fabric, recycled from damaged textiles are reused
again and again. Nothing is ever thrown away. I spent ages
talking to the most interesting lady whose stall it was on.

And yes, I had to bring it home. To me it’s like looking
at a painting. Every aspect of it fascinates me.
The rips, the frays, the stitches, the repairs, the front, the back.
It’s better than any Monet, Pollock or Rembrandt.

I know not everyone will get it but if you do you are welcome
to come and see it anytime.


Craft wise I attended a workshop in Brighouse recently where
we worked on vintage postcards.

First we made stamps by Lino cutting into rubber erasers and
Linosheets. Next up we died threads with Kohi-Nor dyes, then
we stitched and stamped the postcard before building up the
piece with buttons and trim.


Well I think I’ve left you with enough to go at today.
Hope to catch you all next time. There’s more adventures on
the horizon this week with a visit to Dandy Style Exhibition
in Manchester. Looking at 250 years of Men’s Fashion.



Take care 
Lynn
x

16 comments:

  1. What great pics of your trips out! The train looked amazing but I really am envious of the Textiles event, I would have loved to go to that! The Japanese textile is astonishing, all that history, well done you for rescuing it. I’m just pleased that pre loved fabrics are back in the spotlight!
    Hugs LLJ 6 xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing piece that Boro is. It really takes the idea of Make Do and Mend to the Nth degree. Love it. As you love textiles so much, you should look into the quilts of Gee's Bend. Those women really knew how to make things find new life as well. Love your postcard as well, it's a stunna! Been ages since I managed a real-life class.
    Happy WOYWW (back to being on time!)
    Mary Anne (3)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Broderie Anglais petticoat!! What wonderful memories this evoked for me. my favourite material.
    Love the Boro . . . how sensible and artistic at the same time.
    I used to make 'house' dresses from old ones, never wore them outside but they were good to slip on in the summer . . .
    Enjoy your trip to the gents exhibition
    Christine #15

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well what a fab post. Everything we love - trains and textiles. Lucky you . Your piece of fabric is amazing and a real bit of history. Just imagine the hands that have worked on that over the years x x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely to see you joining in and sharing such a lot of fab stuff. I love the peticoat and the piece of Boro....so many tales it could tell us.
    Hugs,
    Annie x # 10

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous array of visits and experiences you have been enjoying Lynn. Loving all the pictures - how lovely to be serenaded as you travel too. Stay safe and Happy WOYWW. Sarah #4

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a fabulous time you've had - the train journey looks fascinating, and I did spot that series but haven#t caught them yet. Love the goodies from the textile show. Have a great week, see you soon. Helen #2

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your day on the Northern Belle sounds fantastic! Is that your sister sitting next to you? Oh, and I think I saw your Mum!
    The Manchester Antique & Vintage Textile Fair sounds lovely too.
    Oh, and I definitely see the appeal of that piece of Boro and totally get why it had to come home with you!
    Much love to you and Philip from us two! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a fabulous blog post - I love the boro piece and totally get why it went home with you and I also love the postcard art. The train journey looks wonderful and a great experience - I'll look out for the progamme, it will be the next best thing to the actual experience!!
    Hope you have a lovely week,
    Diana xx #13

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you've been having an intertesting time since we saw you last. I love trains and that sounds like a great trip. Interesting Antique fair too. Wishing you a very happy and creative woyww, Angela x8x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, that train trip wounds amazing and something i would love to do with DH. What a fab time you must have had.
    Love the pictures from the Vintage Fair - especially that Boro piece. i can understand you having to have it. I would sit and look at each piece and weave a story around it all. How exciting.
    Such a wealth of lovely photos and memories today. Love the photo of you and the ceramic lady.
    Hugs, Neet 5 xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I took my Mum on the Northern Belle ( or one of its sister trains) a few years ago and it’s a fantastic trip. We went to Oxford and round Blenheim palace.
    That Manchester fair sounded fab.
    That Boro is amazing. I use their techniques to keep a favourite red checked shirt of my husband’s going but with nothing like their skill. ( He keeps saying it can’t be repaired but I keep on going and I see over patches when it’s too thin.) I love sashiko as well. .
    There’s so much to like in your post this week. Thanks, it was really interesting.
    Take care
    Hugs
    Lynnecrafts 17

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos, Lynn! All interesting subjects too. The vintage fabrics must have quite a story to tell, especially the Japanese Boro piece. Your finished postcard is beautiful 🤩 Have a great week. Elizabeth x #24

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd be first in the queue to see your boro, Lynn, it's stunning. It looks so much like denim of which i seem to be obsessed with of late! That pretty underskirt is going to get so many outings, it's so perfectly you!
    What a treat that train ride must have been. I'm not a fan of champagne either but I'd have made an exception, too!
    Loving the gingham frock with the tartan tank top!
    Lots of love to you both. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fantastric time on the train you both had! And such lovely goodies to brouse over! Sorry I'm sooo late, time just shot by this week! Have a great week, Happy late woyww ((Lyn)) #22

    ReplyDelete
  16. sorry ! blogger keeps un signing me in! Its Spyder, I tells him and then anonymous pops up in stead! Have a great week, Happy late woyww ((Lyn)) #22

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG DOES NOT ACCEPT ANONYMOUS COMMENTS