Wednesday 9 October 2024

September sped by in the blink of an eye - woyww


Where on earth did September go ………. It went in a whirl of culture and textiles.  One week we went to four different events.


A local venue played host to a Spanish Flamenco group touring the UK and Ireland.  We were mesmerised throughout.


This year I’ve been introduced to National Theatre Live.  London stage shows are streamed to cinemas live around the country.  You get to experience the exact same thing as theatre goers for a fraction of the cost and at a cinema close to home.  It’s an amazing experience.


I’ve never seen the film Edward Scissorhands, nor did I know the story.  This was the musical version and was a ballet.  


We’ve had a few days at the historic Welbeck Estate at Worksop, where we stayed in a cosy 1890’s cottage.

Our reason for being there was because I attended a two day textile workshop at Hope & Elvis.


The brief was to reimagine a favourite painting into something else.  I chose a canvas by Rachel Grant that hangs in our kitchen.   I made this fabric pot.


It was a process of mark making, printing and hand stitch 


Here’s me with Wend the owner of Hope And Elvis Studio


Back home my textile group were working on a print prompt during September.





We’ve also been to the British Country Music Awards, seen the Kate Winslet Film “Lee”   A true story about a female American photographer who covered the atrocities of the Second World War.  It’s compelling watching and I can definitely recommend it.


We had a lovely family meal with Philip and his twin sister Elena to celebrate their 75th birthday.  An added surprise was the arrival of the American cousin who moved to Florida over 40 years ago.

I can’t say that October is going to be any quieter.  We’ve never been as busy.  Loving this retirement malarkey.

I’ll be back with more adventures as we go along.
Thanks for popping by.
Lynn xx
 
Linking in with What’s on your Workdesk Wednesday 








10 comments:

  1. Great projects here today. I know what you mean about time going so fast, it's scary. You must try bto watch the film now of Edward Scissorhand though it is quite a sad story. Loved seeing what byou've been up to. Have a good woyww and big hugs Angela x9x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really enjoyed your catch up. Life certainly sounds good for you...long may it continue.
    Hugs,
    Annie x #11

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly are living the life at the moment - keeps you young I guess so carry on whilst you can.
    Am intrigued as how the "Elvis" creeps in to the name of the business.
    Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your adventures both amaze and exhaust me :). Always so much going on. Your fabric pot is very sweet. I watched a few of the NTL plays on YouTube during the pandemic and the pair with Jonny Lee Miller and Benedict Cumberbatch swapping Frankenstein and the monster were wonderful, as was Streetcar Named Desire with Gillian Anderson. I expect they might still be there - if so well worth a look.
    Between week for me.
    Happy WOYWW.
    Mary Anne (6)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was it Ali's workshop you were at? My friend Sharon was there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a friend of mine often sees the screened theatre shows at her cinema. You have had such a busy month indeed - never mind September, where has 2024 gone!! good to catch up with you again this week. Happy WOYWW Helen #3

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous round up of September Lynn. Love the reimagining of that painting. Enjoy October! Stay safe and Happy WOYWW. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Belated Birthday love to Philip and Elena, what a gorgeous family photo.
    I'm excited to see Lee, I picked up Lee Miller's War in a charity shop for 50p yesterday, her work was so powerful.
    its been years since I saw Edward Scissorhands, I usually detest Johnny Depp but remember it being quite good. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm joining Vix in wishing Philip and Elena a happy 75th birthday.
    Seems you've been having quite an eventful September. Glad to see you both enjoying that retirement malarkey! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow September was busy for you! I have not been to a workshop at Hope and Elvis (or anywhere for that matter) for years, my crafting mojo disappeared and I do miss it. I love your reimagined painting! x

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG DOES NOT ACCEPT ANONYMOUS COMMENTS