Sunday 8 August 2021

Soggy days and a packed week ahead


The weather has matched our mood of late, gloomy.
There’s been things thrown at us recently that have left us very sad.
Flipping it around, it’s an opportunity for us to show our metal as friends.

So here we are Saturday and it’s tipping down in Todmorden but we had a planned
visit to the new premises of  BEYOND MEASURE in Walsden, so there was no
keeping us in.

We might have had a little spend. Philip is hoping to get a cap made with the tweed pieces.
It matches his jacket perfectly. I treated myself to a desk stand, among other things,
to hold thread bobbins.




We had lunch in The Boardroom directly opposite CREATIVE WITH NATURE
a fantastic place to visit and take part in different craft workshops.

A lady in a car waved like mad at me as she passed the window seats we were sat in having lunch.
Waving back like a loony and mouthing are you okay, Philip said who was that. No idea I said,
but I think I should know. I’m hoping it’s one of my Instagram chums.



Back home and out of the rain we settled down with a cuppa and watched some old movies on the
telly. High Society with Grace Kelly, Bing Crosby & Fran Sinatra. Meet me in St. Louisa followed
with Judy Garland. We had a real chuckle but both said what brilliant films they were.


Sunday morning and it’s still dull and lashing with rain. We’ve even had the heating on.
A cup of tea and the start of my latest read before my daily Pilates practise and a shower.

After a trip out to do a couple of errands and pop in at Mum’s we rushed back home for a
late lunch. I’ve recently discovered we have Sky Arts on our telly even though we haven’t
got a Sky subscription. As far as the telly technology goes we are a right pair of Luddites.
I flicked it on and came across a brilliant programme about the late singer Joe Cocker.


As a child I remember being on a school holiday to Holland and chatting to his backing singers
while making the overnight ferry crossing. They just have found us amusing as they kept putting
money in the jukebox and letting us select the records.


At the end of the programme we said what a voice he had even in later life and smoking 40
cigarettes a day he never lost it.  


The new week is ram jam packed with my birthday activities.
I’m never one for a big party but I do love lots of get togethers with family and friends.
I’m kick starting it tomorrow with lunch with good friend Bev, mother to goddaughter Amy.
As Bev is the same age as me she’s helping me spend my first pension payment.
I keep giggling every time I say I’ll be a pensioner on Friday. Better get my bus pass ordered.



7 comments:

  1. Hope you have a lovely week of birthday celebrations x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious birthday memories to be made! Enjoy every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday week! I hope you're going to behave disgracefully and dress fabulously before you have to trade in your wardrobe for anoraks, elasticated waisted slacks and pop socks when you become a pensioner on Friday (not!!)
    Both of you are looking spiffing in your country checks. I hope lunch out and a bit of a spend lifted your spirits. Philip's cap is going to be a beauty! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are similarly technologically challenged and only discovered recently we have Sky Arts too! Some really good programmes, must look out for Joe Cocker.

    It will be great to get your pension but - and I hesitate to say this as you look so young - wonder if you might be one of the WASPI women treated so disgracefully. Do get your bus pass before they cancel that too!

    Have a great birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've had our fair share of gloomy weather too, which makes it hard to stay positive at times. I giggled at that thus far unknown lady waving to you like mad. I always wave back too in such cases, even if it turns they've mistaken me for someone else.
    I'm swooning over your checked suit, Mrs. H.! You look absolutely stunning.
    Wishing you a fabulous birthday week full of little celebration, and enjoy being a pensioner :-)) xxx

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG DOES NOT ACCEPT ANONYMOUS COMMENTS