Monday 26 April 2021

Lockdown Diary - Slow down April you’re going to fast

April has been a complete blur, it’s going so quickly.

On Saturday I took Mum for an alfresco lunch at our favourite tearoom and garden centre.
They’ve worked so hard to make it look nice for everyone.
It was good to be there. It felt like being on holiday.


The sun came out so we had no need for big coats and blankets, although I
did have woolly tights on and a thermal vest on under my wool dress.


Our friend Jane joined us and we had a nice catch up and bought plants, cakes and
some of their new artisan bread. I went for the tomato sourdough.
Philip enjoyed it with a cheese ploughman’s for his tea.


I got talking to this chap, Kevin Rothwell, while he was waiting for his wife.
What a character, he’s a bit of a celebrity in that he has helped to raise over a million
pounds for charity.


The oldest man to attempt to row solo across the Atlantic Ocean.


Back home the wandering welder wasn’t happy when I unwittingly opened
a bottle of 20 year old port that his late friend Pete bought him from
Greece many years ago. How was I to know he was saving it.
I thought it was a bottle of red wine that would go nicely with his ploughman’s.


Sunday was spent in the garden working on removing the ivy
and exposing the dry stone wall again.


The Camellia has joined the garden party. It’s always lovely even
though the flowers fall off once they get big.


The grape hyacinths are doing well in the old Belfast sink.


And finally the new manhole cover has got a cover.
Even though the welder said it was perfectly safe to walk on
I didn’t like the fact that it bounced when you walked on it
so I said you’ll have to make a cover for the cover before I’ll
be stepping on it.


More gardening tales to follow and hopefully I’ll be back in the good books.

Stay safe and enjoy the sunshine
Lynn
X

5 comments:

  1. The garden centre looks gorgeous as does that stunner of a wool dress. Loving the bag, too!
    A million quid for charity? Nice one Kevin.
    The garden is looking fantastic. When we were out litter picking Jon shouted about some dirty so-and-so throwing rubbish all over the pavement, on closer inspection it was the dead heads from someone's camelia.They do make a mess!
    When I get back to Greece I shall see if they still make that port and get Philip a replacement! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee that would be a big surprise for Philip if you managed to get another bottle. Apparently Pete and his wife drank it all the time. They used go to Greece every year.
      He’s speaking to me again now, apart from when I keep leaving lights on xxx

      Delete
  2. It's lovely seeing people out eating and drinking and being alfresco does give a holiday feel.
    Woops with the port, but in all fairness it does just look like a bottle of red wine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the garden center , we are back to staying Local all because of the olympics that nobody wants!
    I miss going to places like that with my mum.
    Opps about the port, I used to drink it at college when we used to serve it to the people comming into the restaurant, except we would drink it! It’s icky!
    I’m glad I’m teetotal. He will forgive you. Good on that man for raising all that money there’s a busker in Redcar that does that, he is a really nice man. I don’t know if he is still Alive though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can say that again: April certainly has been whizzing by so fast it has all but become a blur. I imagine if I didn't take photos or write in my journal I wouldn't remember much of what I did anyway.
    Eating alfresco at a tearoom sounds like an unimaginable luxury, as does catching up with your friend.
    Oh dear again about the 20 year old port, I hope the Wandering Welder has forgiven you by now :-)
    It's lovely following your gardening adventures, but I'm hearing you on the manhole cover! xxx

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG DOES NOT ACCEPT ANONYMOUS COMMENTS