Sunday 14 February 2021

A 65 year old moody teenager

SATURDAY 
 

Postman Sid brought me another lovely parcel today
in the form of this Laura Ashley pinafore dress.

Vintage trader Marie of The Queens Drawers messaged
me to say she could just see me in it.
She was right.


Look at the lovely shawl and pretty flower brooch
she sent as a gift with the dress.

I teamed it up with a vintage Nightingale blouse I
found in a charity shop a few years ago and maroon
opaque tights and Fly London biker boots.

We always loved Saturdays before the pandemic.  After
breakfast and listening to Sounds of the Sixties on radio 2
we would be off over the border to our favourite market town
of Todmorden.  First up we would do our essential shopping, while
having a good natter with the traders.

Next up we would do a round of the charity shops before stopping
for lunch and a couple of drinks in one of Tod’s many fabulous
cafes and hostelries. 

I’ll have to admit to Saturdays being my least favourite day now
and I’m longing for the time we can go out again.


I’m hoping this little jug of bulbs will flourish. Mum bought me
them as a gift at Christmas and I should have had them planted up
by now and stored away in the dark for 10 weeks. It’ll be a miracle
if they do as I’ll probably forget they are there.

One lovely thing to come out of the day was a long chat on the phone
with my friend of over 40 years Sue P.  We had a lovely catch up and a
good giggle and both said we felt better for it.


The day and evening whizzed by and we were still without a water
supply, as we had been since early morning due to a burst
further down the road.  My heart goes out to the poor chaps
out there in the freezing cold doing there best to fix it.
At least we are in the warmth.


So apart from loading more photos on to the little Instagram 
project I’m doing, changing the bedding, a bit of vacuuming and 
cooking the tea that was Saturday.

I’m chuckling, as my inner self has been acting like a moody teenager all day.
So tomorrow I’ll give myself a kick up the backside, take the day and run with it.

Stay safe and take one day at a time.
Spring is on its way.
Lynn
x



16 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn, as ever I am very envious of your fashion picks. As a life long lover of Laura Ashley I was delighted to see your lovely pinafore dress and your pairing of it with a Nightingale blouse too. Hope your Saturday went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alysia
      Thank you for your lovely comments on my new to me pinafore. It will go with lots of different colour ways.
      Saturday was a bit of a downer as we would normally go out for the day and I still haven’t got used to not being able to visit our favourite market town. I’ll have to make a plan for future Saturdays.
      Take care xx

      Delete
  2. love the Laura Ashley dress, there is a loyal fan base here, have they deffo gone bust?? I know a while ago the shops had gone which saddened me as l loved their wallpaper and paint. I used to bring a couple of rolls back with me.
    I was sulking yesterday Paul called me mopping molly as I refused to do anything so he told me to browse online and see if there is anything I wanted online and he would treat me which he duly did. To I suppose an anime book which US made a poor movie of but I wanted this book so bad and I jumped for joy when I found it.
    It’s nice to talk to friends when you are low. I hope your water is back on. Take care and keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they have gone bust, which is sad as I’ve had a few pieces of clothing and household furnishings over the years.
      I’m going to have to form a plan for future Saturdays so I don’t get gloomy.
      The water came back on late Saturday night thanks to the good work of the poor chaps working in freezing temperatures xx

      Delete
  3. What a sweet dress! Yes Spring is coming ~ I know what you mean about Saturdays now, I stayed inside and read a good book all-day-long. This will change! I searched the word Spring on Pinterest yesterday so I could see it and dream about it's arrival :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely idea, searching the word Spring. I’ll have to give it a go.
      I’m going to have to form a plan for future Saturdays I think.
      Take care and thanks for dropping by xx

      Delete
  4. What's your Instagram address?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn.vintagehabit
      And the sewing one is vintagehabit_craftroom

      Delete
  5. Marie was absolutely spot on: that pinafore dress is very you! I love how you combined it with that lovely vintage blouse.
    We also miss our old Saturdays, which always included a round of the charity shops. Although we can still go to charity shops, we prefer to do so during the week, when it's quieter. I don't like Saturdays as much now either.
    A telephone chat with a friend can work miracles. It did me the world of good when friends called me last weekend after we'd lost Phoebe.
    Oh, and I'm following your crafty Instagram account as from this afternoon! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following my new Insta page. I’m enjoying the process of looking back at my old pieces. I’d forgotten about some of them. It’s interesting matching them to the challenge prompts.
      Roll on the Saturdays we can go out freely xxx

      Delete
  6. Marie knows you so well! That dres is gorgeous, the blouse perfect underneath and the shawl and brooch are lovely.
    Saturdays have always been work days for us, either trading at fairs and festivals or preparing for them. It's a relevation to lie in bed till 9am reading, have a sausage sandwich for breakfast and to go (normally) for a long walk.
    Your house looks so cosy and inviting. I hope you've got your water back on. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the water was back on late Saturday night. I wouldn’t have wanted to be one of them poor chaps working on it in the freezing cold. United utilities are fantastic in keeping you up to date with what’s happening.
      I’m going to make a plan for future Saturdays so I don’t end up in a sulk xxx

      Delete
  7. Just found your blog - I love your decoration and clothing style. :-) And beautiful view from the window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for popping in, it’s lovely to have you along.
      We live high up on top of a hill on the edge of the moors. It’s a beautiful spot and there’s plenty of walks hereabouts.
      Hope to see you again
      Lynn xx

      Delete
  8. Hi, I believe an investment firm called Gordon Brothers bought the Laura Ashley name and archives etc and have already brought out a few products in collaboration with other existing firms e,g. Next and Barbour. We await further developments as big fans of the Laura Ashley style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let’s hope they keep the shops going. I do like the pieces I have xx

      Delete

THIS BLOG DOES NOT ACCEPT ANONYMOUS COMMENTS