Thursday 1 October 2020

This was September......


It’s hard to believe that another month has slipped by and we are still in the midst of a world pandemic.

In the background our lives are still rolling along, the same but not the same.

I’m reading more and reading a more diverse range of books than I have before.  The reason I’m getting through them at a right rate of knots is because I’m not sleeping as well as I did, so I read rather than just lie there waiting for sleep to come.

I’ve also started taking more of an interest in cooking. Less of the ‘What shall we have’ and ‘oh this’ll do’.  I’m doing more planning and trying different things, which is making shopping simpler as I’m planning meals for the week and making a list to go with it. 


September was a busy month for birthdays and our wedding anniversary. There were no family gatherings but we did manage a few days at our caravan, met up with a friend and had a meal in our favourite hotel Clare House in Grange Over Sands.


On my sister’s birthday I had an afternoon tea with my bestie Sue.  My sister Jill lives at the other end of the country so we couldn’t celebrate with her. 


And then there was the excitement of our sofas being recovered in a gorgeous Kilim fabric.  By the end of October hopefully the new carpet will have been fitted.  It’s our way of marking our retirement from being in business for 40 years.  By the end of 2020 all the admin and legal stuff should be completed, fingers crossed.

No big plans for us even without the pandemic we wouldn’t be taking a cruise or fancy holiday. Neither would I be replacing my 17 year old VW Beetle Frida or Philip’s van, or upgrading our 22 year old caravan.  We are quite happy at home and going out for a pub meal when we can.  Simple folk, that’s us. 


It’s hard to believe that it’s six months since my lovely Auntie Gladys passed away.  It’s gone so quickly. This week I’m going to arrange for her name to be added to the family grave and then we will take her ashes there.  Not quite closure though as she wanted them scattering in Liverpool where she was born.  So what we are going to do is have a day out there sometime in the future.  I may just keep a little pocketful of ashes to take with me and give her a final trip out.


So that was September and now we roll into October.  Let’s hope that things start to improve.  I don’t know about anyone else but I look forward to this awful virus being at the back of our minds and not the forefront of our thoughts every day.

Take care everyone
Lynn 
x

17 comments:

  1. Can't believe we're in the 10th month of the year and it's been some year. Was one of my daughters-in-law's birthday yesterday and we had to stand at their front door and give her the presents via sliding them along the floor! How ridiculous is that? I'm well jel of your VW Beetle, Frida. I wouldn't get rid of her either! Good luck in October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my car. I’ve had her from new and everyone recognises us as she is cyber green heehee

      Delete
  2. ps I got that Sarah Crossan book from the library last week, on request, got it home, opened it then promptly shut it again and returned it the next day! I hate reading books with stanzas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear that’s a shame. It was an unusual reading style but I enjoyed it once I got into the flow

      Delete
  3. You've said it, our lives are simultaneously the same and not the same! Six months in and I've certainly adapted a slower pace of life, which I like. But I do miss taking a holiday now and then, and I especially miss not being able to go to the UK - and meet you again - or just doing something spontaneous. It's awful for that horrible virus to be on our minds all the time! Keep well and sane, my friend! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is strange Ann. It’s like a bad dream that won’t go away. Take care of yourselves dear friends xxx

      Delete
  4. The sofa looks wonderful- the upholsterer has done such a good job of matching up the pattern. I agree that we seem to be living in some weird time warp. The days fly past with little to differentiate them. We here( Western Australia) are so lucky to have few restrictions, but our borders are closed and I dread what will happen when they open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a friend who has just returned to Australia after being parted from her husband and young son for over four months. She came home to be with her mum who has cancer then couldn’t get back. She’s now in a hotel for 14 days on her own isolating. Such a hard and very sad time for them

      Delete
  5. Your sofa looks lovely, that is beautiful fabric. We are homebodies too. Just a yearly camping trip for us and visiting our daughter who lives ten hours away is all the traveling we do. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like being home birds as long as we can get to the pub for tea now and again haha

      Delete
  6. There's a tee shirt I always see on market stalls in Goa "same, same but different!" How very apt for these strange times.
    I can't believe Auntie Gladys has been gone for six months. Don't feel too bad about the ashes, Dad died 5 years ago and Marcus & I still haven't climbed Snowdon to distribute them.
    Your sofa is fantastic, the pattern alignment is just wonderful.
    I love that you & Sue celebrated your sister's day in spirit! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Auntie gladys house is now empty. That was hard to see. I’ll go back once more to say goodbye. I’m making a little garden for her at the family grave. Its something i need to do for me xxx

      Delete
  7. wow we’re has all the time gone. If someone asked me 10 months ago if we would be facing a worldwide pandemic which would bring its world to its knees I would have laughed. Not so funny now.
    I look at you and Philip and I can see how happy you two are like peas in a pod. If someone told me back in June Paul would have his knee replacement in September I would have laughed at that as well, as it never ever crossed our minds. It hit us in the summer how poorly Paul was.
    I mum is like you, she loves her things and likes to get her monies worth. I think that is we’re I get it from. I eat from kiln craft baccahus pottery we had as kids and I love it.
    She thinks twice before spending a large amount of money. I am slowly getting that way. Take care and keep safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allie, people say that me and Philip bat off each other. Don’t know where we’d be without each other to be honest.
      Keep yourselves safe too xx

      Delete
  8. Your sofa looks smashing. That's a lovely photo of your auntie. That's a good idea to take a small amount of her ashes to Liverpool. I took my mum's ashes to Leeds, she loved Yorkshire. I'm sick of the talk of covid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn’t think this year would fly by so quickly with the new way of living that we have, but one day, hopefully it will all be a distant memory, I’m just trying to keep in touch with friends and filling my time with things I enjoy doing. I too have a September birthday and like your sister I’m also a Sue or Susan to be correct! Not been with you long but do enjoy your cheerful blog.Keep Well Xx.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lynn. Annie's not around today so I thought I'd pop round and see what all our usual friends have been up to this week. This is a lovely post. The afternoon tea looked good. We have a gift card for one of those but not been brave enough to book it yet. Oh my! Grange over Sands now that brings back some memories. Have a lovely weekend, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG DOES NOT ACCEPT ANONYMOUS COMMENTS