Sunday 2 August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Hello August

Saturday 1st August 

After a day of temperatures reaching 31 degrees on the last day of July, Saturday morning was a lot pleasanter to be out and about in.

So after our regular early morning singalong with Tony Blackburn on Radio 2 we got ourselves ready for shopping over the border in the lovely market town Todmorden.


Sadly our favourite coffee shop stop off has closed until further notice so we headed off to The Boardroom. It’s so called because they have lots of board games for customers to play while enjoying lunch or coffee and a cake. All complying with Covid regulations of course.

The girls worked with masks and gloves on and even though we couldn’t see their faces properly you could see the smile in their eyes and the warm welcome in their voices.  It was a delight to be there and the food and coffee was really good.


Walking back to the car after shopping on the market for fruit n veg, cleaning stuff and provisions for tea we spotted this new display on the edge of the canal.  We also found out it was Yorkshire Day.  Probably any other year there’d be all sorts of events going on.

Back home Philip went down to our local pub for a pint with his mate. They have a regular booked drinking table now on Saturday and Sunday for a couple of hours.  When he’s ready to come home he rings me and I get my exercise by walking down to meet him on his way back.   

Sunday 2nd August 

Lovely morning and I’m on fish feeding duties at the neighbours house while they’re away for the week.


I did a bit of dusting and vacuuming, well more faffing than anything then took Mum’s shopping down to her house.

The blue plates were my nana’s, I brought them home from Auntie Gladys’s house. They must be at least 80 years old and I’ve always loved looking at them.

Late afternoon Philip went off to see his mate again for an hour then I walked down to meet him on his way home for tea. Sunday is always an easy tea since we haven’t started eating out at the pub yet.


I am going to meet my friend for lunch tomorrow.  It’s a bit of a nervy event when going somewhere for the first time. 

Things in our part of the country are still a bit tight and rules are very vague, so we do our own risk assessment, don’t do anything or go anywhere where we are not comfortable.

Tonight we will be watching the second part of Greece with Simon Reeve and I’ll give the BBC1 drama A Suitable Boy, another go. I can’t say the first episode gripped me. In fact I think I nodded off before the end.


I’m starting reading Miss Benson’s Beetle tonight.  A lot lighter read than my last one. 

Lisa Woollett’s Rag & Bone 

I’m getting through books a lot quicker since we’ve been in lockdown, even though I only read in bed. The only time I read books during the day is on holiday. I’m sure that’s got something to do with always reading in bed from being a child.

I wonder what this week will bring for us all.
Whatever it is stay safe and only do what you feel happy with.


Lynn
x






8 comments:

  1. My mum mentioned it was Yorkshire day as my twin lives in Leeds, but isn’t happy as she thinks People from Manchester can pop on the train and still come to Leeds . I do understand her point. I am glad you can still get out and have a cuppa and a nice slice of cake!
    I love those blue plates, I am in Sendai for a couple of days with the family visiting my crazy friend. Who thinks it is funny to wake you up at 7 am for a walk, she soon got told. We both collect koeshi dolls and we are off to see a local maker today. I can’t wait .
    I am glad Philipp got to go back to the pub. Paul is missing his model club, he can go back but is due to have a knee replacement so he doesn’t want to risk it. He’s only 52, I feel for him. Your blogs always cheer me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allie, I’m glad you enjoy my blog. It certainly varies from post to post depending what’s going on in my head at the time haha.
      Philip misses his country music club and his friends there. Let’s hope the menfolk can get back to doing what they like soon.
      Enjoy your stay and I’m with you on the not doing early morning stuff. We wouldn’t be much good arm Vix’s house would we haha xx

      Delete
  2. What a lovely two days!
    I love Auntie Gladys' plates and your art gallery wall snippet.
    You're right about doing your own risk assessment and doing what you feel is safe for you.
    We've seen Simon Reeve in Greece before, I like his compassion & enthusiasm for life. We switched A Suitable Boy off after 20 minutes, it really was appalling. I'm going to have to reread the book as it's spoilt it for me.
    Hope your lunch out goes well, I'm sure it will! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve given up on a Suitable Boy as well Vix, it didn’t hold me at all and I much preferred the book.
      The new rules for this area are so confusing. My mum does more frightening things than me. Like going on a bus and into large towns. There’s not a cat in hells chance of us doing that. We are used to doing risk assessments for each job we go on so we are probably more qualified than the government.
      Have a good day you lovely pair xxxx
      Ps I’m sending a parcel down to Jon for his birthday, don’t let him have it beforehand will you xxx

      Delete
  3. Your blue plates are beautiful and lovely to display on the wall in that way. Shame about A Suitable Boy a number of bloggers have been disappointed, I haven't seen it, but have set my expectations accordingly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’ll be interesting to see what you think about the series Betty. A friend of mine enjoyed last nights episode better but I’ve decided it’s not for me. The book was much better.
      I remember the plates at nana’s and then Auntie Gladys displayed them the same way at her house l.
      Take care xx

      Delete
  4. Hello hello hello . Loverly post ! I’ve not seen seen the new drama on the box as of yet . I am loving Penny dreadful ( Sky Atlantic ) it’s a bit spooky just like me .. Keep on keeping on sweetie .. hugs hugs hugs ! 😃👌❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had 35° last Thursday, and although it has cooled down by now, we are in for a heatwave later this week. Alright for some, but I do prefer it slightly cooler. The Boardroom looks lovely and so does that wicker display. Good for Philip and his mate to have booked a regular drinking table. Fish feeding duties, eh? We had double cat-sitting duties this weekend. Faffing is what I'm best at lately :-) Loving those gorgeous plates! I too mostly read in bed. Trouble is I'm nodding off after only a couple of pages, so it is taking me forever to get through a book! Keep well, you two! xxx

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG DOES NOT ACCEPT ANONYMOUS COMMENTS