Thursday 22 October 2020

A tale of a beautiful silk dress


Here’s a tale about a beautiful silk  dress and some Instagram ladies.

One day a lady walked into a shop


“I have a dress that I don’t wear anymore and is in need of a  zip, do you think you could use the fabric for anything.” She said.

“But it’s to beautiful to be cut up” said the shop owner. “Wait, I have a customer who I think would love it.  How about if I fix the zip and let her have it for the price of the zip repair. £8”.   The dress owner thought that was a lovely idea.


A day or two later the shop owner messaged me via Instagram to say she had something for me, would I be calling in the shop.
As it happened Philip was in Bacup, he returned home full of excitement, hardly able to wait to show me the treasure he had in his hands.

“Oh my” said I, “it’s beautiful.  But it will never fit me, how sad.  Too much lockdown cake.   I know just the person it would look fantastic on though”. And so the story continues.

I then did a bit of research on the label and was thrilled to find it was by a British designer - Alison Taylor.
After more digging I managed to get in touch with Alison through her Instagram page 
She was amazed when I showed her the photo and said yes it was one of hers that she had designed over 20 years ago, made as a sample for London & New York.   

I told her the story so far and that I would be sending it on to my friend who would be sure to love and care for it.

You can read about Alison’s company here.


Switching over to my friend Julia’s Instagram account I sent her some pictures and asked if she would like it.  I could hear her exclamation of joy, albeit virtually. 

So it’s journey continued.  It’s certainly well travelled. From the creative mind of designer Alison Taylor to the spinners, weavers and seamstresses of Vietnam to bring into life ..... onto London, then at some point bought from a vintage shop in the city before arriving in the wardrobe of a generous lady in Bacup, Lancashire and then the shop of a thoughtful dressmaker in the same town.  A short journey and stay at our house in Whitworth before ending up in Gosport, Hampshire.

It’s made from the most beautiful Vietnamese silk with a side zip and two hidden darts on the front.  It really is special and I’m so glad to have been a small part of it’s story.


But what next I hear you say......... well it ended up back with me via the Lake District.  It didn’t fit Julia or our friend Maria who we were visiting in Ulverston in the summer.  So now it’s hanging up in my wardrobe waiting for it’s next adventure to who knows where or when.




12 comments:

  1. You're a big part of the story, Lynn!
    I love stories like this. Thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Colette. I’m glad you enjoyed it.
      Take care of yourself dear friend xxx

      Delete
  2. What a fun story! I hope you can find her a home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I do too Debi. It deserves a new owner, it’s so pretty

      Delete
  3. what a wonderful story I hope it finds a loving and happy home who knows how to look after it.
    We’re I work we get a lot of vintage yukatas and kimonos . We treat them like babies, we don’t clean them as we belive they are part of history. Some are 50 years plus. They are lovingly hand made .
    I just get upset when tourists buy them, don’t listen to the advice we give them and then we get snotty and rude emails saying they have fallen apart. It makes me want to cry. I own about 10. They are stored very carefully as moths love them.
    I hope this dress gets to live on for a long time as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m hoping the right person comes along who will love it Allie, it’s such a pretty dress.
      I’d love to see a photo of the Yukatas I’ve no idea what they look like. I’ll have to google an image.

      Delete
  4. That dress is gorgeous, as soon as I clapped eyes on it I thought of how it would be just up Julia's street in those delicate pastels so loves and the dainty details. I have no doubt that when she finds her rightful owner she'll live a long and happy life!
    I've just visited the Sula website, that copper-y orange blouse - wow! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sula clothes are fab to look at but a bit pricey.
      I’ve just ordered an emerald velvet coat from Plumo. I got a fabulous discount otherwise I wouldn’t have bought it. I’ll be wearing it to greet the postman for now until we go out properly xxx

      Delete
  5. Beautiful dress which wouldn't have looked amiss on Doris Day! Hope it finds a suitable new owner. Have a good weekend.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes it’s a proper Doris Day frock. It really does deserve a new owner, it’s so lovely.
      Have a lovely weekend yourselves xx

      Delete
  6. What a gorgeous dress, and such a lovely heartwarming story! I do hope you'll be able to tell us the end of the story soon! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m lookon for a willowy tall person as it’s next owner Ann. It’s so pretty xxx

      Delete

THIS BLOG DOES NOT ACCEPT ANONYMOUS COMMENTS