Thursday 9 April 2020

Outside of these four walls


I’ve been outside these four walls today and said goodbye to my beautiful, funny Auntie Gladys.  We had to drive our own car behind the hearse and there were only six people in attendance.  No hugging, no shaking of hands, no sitting together.


But I need to tell you this.  That as sad as I was, the help and support has been phenomenal.  We managed to get a stunning floral arrangement from a local florist.  The minister was so kind and captured the personality of Auntie completely.


The funeral directors and Crematorium set up a webcam so that my auntie’s sister who is 90 and lives at the other end of the country could watch it.  My own sister and friends watched too.  This was such a last minute bonus which was a bit lost on me as I’m not that technical.  I did get everyone to  turn and wave like mad at the camera though, which my sister Jill said was lovely as it made her feel a part of the service. 

We all dressed in bright colours to suit Auntie Gladys character and we laughed and laughed at the tributes read out  about her.  

What a star she was.  You’ll get an idea if I mention 50 Shades Of Grey,  horse racing and a toy boy.  You never knew what she was going to come out with next.

The last couple of years haven’t been great as she became frailer with age and then only six weeks ago diagnosed with lung cancer,  but she still went down to the bookies on a Saturday when she could and she enjoyed seeing her pals on a Tuesday.


She made me chuckle right upto the end and non more so than when she would ring up, say what she had to say, then shout OVER AND OUT  and slam the phone down.

I’m so glad you were my Auntie Gladys, I will always smile and chuckle when I think of you.

OVER AND OUT

4 comments:

  1. saying goodbye to a loved one is never easy but I am sure it was much more difficult in the unprecedented times. It all sounds like you did as much as you could to give her a good send off and I am sure she was looking down on you all xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that your Auntie Gladys had the best send-off ever in these circumstances. I love that you all dressed in bright colours, and that floral arrangement really is beautiful. And the webcam arrangement was such a good idea. I'm so glad she made you chuckle right up to the end, and I'm sure that's how you'll always remember here! Sending a huge hug xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I got up yesterday morning I hoped Auntie Gladys would have some sunshine for her send-off and she did.
    The flowers were beautiful and she'd have appreciated the bright colours you wore. How lovely that her sister was able to watch via the video link, too.
    She's have been very proud of you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely that you could give your Auntie such a nice memorial. She sounds like a very special lady. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG DOES NOT ACCEPT ANONYMOUS COMMENTS