Thursday 8 July 2021

Friday Smiles - Sticking to it and at it


Now the only time you’ll see me using this is when I’ve something to
press when I’m crafting. Usually it involves glue or paint, so the
iron hasn’t got the cleanest surface.

The other time I might get an urge to use it is when the boiler conks
in the middle of a shower and the water runs cold.  You might see me
swinging it round my head on its way to clonking the wandering welder.


Here he is hands on hips giving it a good coat of looking at.


I’ll just get out off the way for a bit.  No I’m not leaving him,
It’s my sewing machine.  Hmm ! I could clonk him with that.

I’m having sewing lessons up the road in Bacup.  Last week
I learned the in and outs of my machine and this week I made
this tote bag.


I don’t think the Sewing Bee will be seeking me out.
Gail’s a fabulous teacher but my brain is not wired for accuracy,
measuring, cutting straight and pattern matching. It’s on a par
with crotcheting.  I can’t do that either.  I’ll stick at it though,
there’s two more weeks to go at yet, so you never know.


Thursday morning I had another great zoom meeting with the
No Rules Textile Society. Lots of giggles, exchanging of ideas and a
look at what folk had been doing for the Nature Prompt.


After lunch I went onto do a bit more
experimenting.



Then I messed about with bondaweb, dissolvable fabric and paint.
It took all my brain power to work out what I wanted to achieve,
but I’m persistent and stick at it till I get a result.


Finally some free motion embroidery, dried thistles and a wooden bobbin.



And all the while this cheeky chap was swinging from the bird feeder
right in front of the window.






There’s a meal out with friends planned for Saturday afternoon
and then Sunday all the world and his wife will be glued to the telly
cheering England on.

Enjoy yourselves whatever you’re upto.
Lynn 
X


13 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I hope the wandering welder has been able to sort your boiler. (and you don't have to use the iron)
    I do like your neat bag for your sewing machine. Good girl for sticking with it. Even if it is not your thing to be precise and straight.
    I took one look at your ipad stand and I thought: I want one! The trouble with living out in the sticks is that you don't know these handy things exist. I've now ordered on which will arrive on Tuesday at my local post office (They don't deliver to my house).
    I smiled at the squirrel. (But if the feeder is really meant for birds you don't really want a squirrel spoiling the fun for the birds)
    Have a great weekend,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad you managed to order an iPad stand, it really is a gem of a thing. It made me chuckle when you said you were getting one, sometimes blogging can be had on the purse haha. Books are my downfall when someone recommends one.
      Have a lovely weekend yourselves Lisca
      Lynn xx

      Delete
  2. Love the blue bag. I assume that is the sewing machine carry tote. I am glad you are enjoying the sewing groups. I read a good piece this morning about doing what we do for the enjoyment we get from it, and not in an attempt to achieve perfection. A good thing to remember when I am making things.
    The sewing etc experiments with ivy leaves is interesting. Again I am sure you got enjoyment from doing it. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tote came out great! I used to sew some simple clothing patterns with my mom; in fact she helped me make all my own prom dresses in high school. Now I really only use my machine for simple hem or patch sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love all you've been 'playing' with this week. You have such a way with colours and get some really lovely results. I wish I had more time to 'play' with my machine.....or the energy to actually 'play' when I've been sewing for work lol
    Have a great week my friend.
    Hugs,
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lynn, I'm late today and I have to admit that when I got back from walking the dogs I was hunting for some new resin on-line so I'm afraid it's the craft stuff again that's distracted me Lol! but I'm here now and really pleased to see how well you are coming along with the sewing machine. I wouldn't worry to much about how straight things are as I'm sure your teacher will give you some tips on that by making good use of the Presser Foot and Throat Plate. Sorry, once a teacher it never goes away not only that but my mother says I'm bossy too! I found something funny that I thought you might like but please remember these are not the correct names for the parts of a sewing machine Lol! https://playfullygrownuphome.com/2014/08/18/online-finds-geeky-sewing-machine-diagram/
    Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so enjoy your blogs. This one in particular. Also, you're the best-dressed blogger in blogland. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I don’t know about that Colette but thank you kindly my friend. And thank your for popping by. Hope all is well with you over the pond xxx

      Delete
  7. Did he survive? The clonking that is!
    You certainly made me chuckle at your squirrel antics x

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sincere apologies for not visiting sooner. My body just shut down. In between hosting T Stands For Tuesday, I spent Monday and Tuesday cleaning my house for a friend’s first visit. On Wednesday I visited every person who linked to WOYWW as well as those who had new posts on my sidebar. That was all either before or after I mowed my yard. On Thursday, I entertained a friend, then visited everyone who had posted something new on my sidebar. I barely stayed awake to link at Annie’s, then went to bed. When I woke a few hours later, my body simply wouldn’t function like it should. I couldn’t even bring myself to look at the computer, even though I felt so very guilty for not visiting anyone. I sincerely hope you will understand. Sadly, that’s what happens when you have to do it all yourself!

    I couldn't sew a straight line if my life depended on it. I don't cut anything, either. It's tear fabric or forget it. I love your wooden bobbin and your free motion stitching. My feed dogs don't drop, so I am in AWE of your flowers and thistles you added to that fabric. Happy belated Friday Smiles, dear Lynne. That squirrel had me smiling, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny as you are, I do feel sorry for Philip :-)
    What a beautiful bag for your sewing machine, though! The bag you made isn't half bad either.
    I'm loving your nature prompt thingies, and both dresses are delightful. That denim dress is just perfect, and I love how you're wearing it with the pink jacket! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no, I hope you got your boiler fixed? Great bags, love your cardigan :)

    Thanks so much for linking up to The Weekend Link Up. I hope you can join us again tomorrow for Creative Mondays #TheWeekendLinkUp

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hop Philip manages to sort out the boiler, ours had a few wobbles earlier this year but lives to see another winter (I hope)!
    How funny, I've just spent the last hour ironing shirts to list on eBay. I love a bit of ironing na dwe've got the same one!
    Your bag is fantastic for a first attempt and I absolutely love the stitched leaves.
    How naughty is that squirrel? Jon bought a squirrel proof feeder from Wilko yesterday, I bet ours will find a way to get into it! xxx

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG DOES NOT ACCEPT ANONYMOUS COMMENTS