Monday 26 October 2020

Lockdown Weekend Diary


Friday night kicked off with another episode  of BBC2 Between The Covers book club with Sara Cox.  I’ve almost finished reading This Lovely City by Louise Hare, which will be reviewed next week.  I’ve romped through the book enjoying this London based story and I’m excited to hear what they thought of it.



We then went onto watch the lovely Monty Don on Gardeners World.  I love our tv evenings, they are pure escapism.


Saturday mornings are spent in the company of Tony Blackburn and his Radio 2 show Sounds of the Sixties.  With no plans to go out until mid afternoon and the rain pouring down outside we flicked through the papers and then decided to have a proper lazy morning and watch the new version of Daphne Du Mauriers - Rebecca.  It was gripping and the costumes and settings fabulous. Worth a watch if you’ve got Netflix.


I’m in my Narnia wardrobe here getting ready for an outing to the pub for a late lunch.  I bought these rust urchin cord trousers from Toast a few weeks ago and love them.  They’re teamed up with a retro blouse I’ve had a few years and my Fly London Chelsea boots.  Autumn/winter are my favourite seasons for clothes.


I found these urchin wool trousers in the charity shop last year and the brown cord coat is another charity shop find costing all of £8 a couple of years ago along with the basket and waistcoat.


Two tables were booked at our local The Oxford for lunch.  We sat on one and our friends sat socially distanced on the other.  We booked for 3pm knowing it would be quiet at that time and we wouldn’t have to shout across to one another.


We were celebrating John’s birthday and instead of a cake he went for one of Ella’s wicked Halloween sundaes.  It was a lovely couple of hours chatting even though we were sat apart and had to order our food and drinks separately.  

We giggled all the way home, not because we were tipsy,  I don’t drink alcohol at all (daft  enough without it ) but because we had another cosy evening in front of the telly to look forward to with the heating on, lamps lit and thinking we like this retirement malarkey and our simple way of life.

At 65 and 71 and working from the age of 15 we are beginning to settle into this new phase. 

Things are not great globally right now but, as the saying goes, ‘This to shall pass’.   Let’s hope it passes soon.


Lynn
x

13 comments:

  1. I have always had a book on the go, but the past couple of months I have found it really hard to concentrate. Very strange. I have, however, been binge listening to Desert Island Discs podcasts recently which have led me to some biographies, including the wonderful Liz Smith. I had forgotten all about Sounds of the 60's so shall tune in to that too! Love your urchin pants, sadly I am very short and they just make me look silly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love radio 2 on Saturday's. Podcasts are something I’ve not got into yet. I’ve only recently found bbc Iplayer haha

      Delete
  2. Hi Lynn, That was a nice post, you can’t beat a good settled evening with the telly. Last night after watching a prog. about Hotel Chocolat we had two hours of ABBA, strange for a Sunday evening but really enjoyed it all, and very relaxing. I have just read on Vix’s blog that you have hurt your ankle, so sorry to hear it but now you will have to relax with a good book or should I say lots of good books.Where I live we have been swapping books around friends so everyone has a good collection to read, we are doing all we can do to keep each other’s spirits up as quite often there is a little treat, cake or apples etc in with the bag of books. As you say this too shall pass, we just need patience. Brummie Sue Xx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue for your lovely comments. I’m still laid up. I tried a little walk up the garden path then found a whole load of other aches and pains. Honestly what a numpty. Plenty of telly watching going on and cups of tea xx

      Delete
  3. I'm with Brummie Sue and sending you lots of healing wishes.
    I'm loving your new trousers, they really suit you. I remember loving those charity shopped ones last year. The splash of red polka dots is inspired.
    I'm glad you were able meet up with friends, celebrate John's birthday and not have to shout too loudly.
    After a week spent reading about happy memories in sunny Ibiza I'm now in Iceland following a serial killer. Talk about a change in mood!
    Stay safe and enjoy those cosy nights in! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix, I’ll take your and Sue’s healing wishes as I’ve now discovered a whole load of other aches and bruises. So looks like I’ll be doing even more telly watching and tea drinking.
      I’ve gone all political now as I’m reading a book about the history of The Corner Shop. Not really escapism so I’ll be speed reading my way through this one xxx

      Delete
  4. We don’t have a tv and I’m not allowed ( they won’t let me) watch UK programs online, so I don’t know the programs you mention. A program about books is always interesting. I used to watch Richard and Judy back in the day, and buy all their recommendations.
    I do remember Sounds of the sixties with Brian Matthews. He used to play quite obscure records. Does Tony Blackburn do that too?
    I love your clothes. You seem to be able to match everything together so well.
    I’m glad you are both enjoying your retirement.
    Stay safe,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to listen to Brian Matthews as well. Tony B plays some fabulous music. We record it and quite often listen to it all again.
      Thanks for your lovely comments on my clobber.
      Take care xx

      Delete
  5. Love the wardrobe, I have the cupboard of doom, it’s all piled up and I don’t know how on Earth I find anything.
    I am glad you had a nice weekend the dessert looks fab. Mum has got me some toast trousers from the charity shop 10.00 brand new with tags and they look fab.
    Enjoy you retirement

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to sort my cupboard of doom now and again when I go throw phases of not putting stuff away properly.
      What a star your Mum is finding you the Toast trousers. You’ll have to send me a pic when you get them xx

      Delete
  6. What I would't give for a walk-in wardrobe like yours! I have not one, but several wardrobes divides over two rooms, and I'm in the thick of my seasonal changeover which is doing my head in. Like Julia, I'm having problems concentrating, so my reading hasn't been up to scratch, I'm afraid, which is very unlike me. It's lovely that you were able to celebrate your friend's birthday, and I am approving his choice of dessert! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is pure enjoyment . . . you are such a well rounded girl with so many interests to share with us. Not to mention, your marvelous wardrobe . . . I would love to get my hands into your closet and have you teach me how to mix and match with all your textures and patterns. It's a true talent to be able to do that, you know :)
    Wishing you a wonderful day,
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It took me about a year to settle into retirement. That was seven years ago and sometimes I still miss my job and the people I worked with... and the kids... they kept me young and on my toes! But mostly I am enjoying this slower pace and all the time that I now have to do things I didn't have time for when working.

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG DOES NOT ACCEPT ANONYMOUS COMMENTS