Sunday 6 September 2020

Old mills and upholsterery skills

I’m a sucker for the interiors of old mills, so today was doubly exciting when we returned to take photos of our sofas nearing their upholstery completion.

 
Mr Raj kindly let me take some photos of the old mill workshop walls.  Don’t ask why old cardboard templates should appeal to me but they do.


And now the main event.  The rebirth of our three times recovered sofas.  


We’ve had them 25 years and are still wonderfully comfortable. 


It was fabulous to see the fabric we are having laid out on the cutting bench with the shapes already cut out for the back cushions.


It’s a bit of a self indulgent blog post this as it ages since I’ve visited anywhere that roused my love of old industrial textile mills and all they hold inside them.


Mr Raj talked us through the process of reupholstering and said he had paid particular attention to our job as the fabric was so unusual and a difficult but delightful job to work on. The craftsmanship of his tradesmen is excellent. The pattern matching and cutting has to be exact so as not to waste precious material. Everything is carried out on site.  If you were to buy a brand new suite or chair the frames are made in situ as well.


Nearly there now


What an exciting project this has been for us all.
As it was pointed out to us, most people want grey or beige plain fabrics now so this was a good chance for the team to practice their skills.


The final episode will be later this week when they arrive back home.


We are a tad excited.
Lynn 
X











7 comments:

  1. Oh that looks super Lynn! I loved seeing the mill photos, My Mum was a textile designer and worked in a mill in Keighley, a couple of my Aunties were mill workers too. I don't have a memory of going inside a mill, but something about those photos and the story tugs at the heartstrings.Perhaps it's in the genes.😊 looking forward to seeing your couch. I've just bought a new one, very plain coloured, I'll have to get on to some cushion making and tart it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be a tad excited too! my word how wonderful a trip, right up my street too..love the pile of templates..all the stories of sofas and choices they could tell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! I love old industrial buildings very much - and here in the Black Country the area is littered with derelict ones. The sofa looks incredible, i bet you can't wait to have it home! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the peek inside the old mill and by the looks of it your sofa will be fantastic! Can't wait for the final episode! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I could live with your sofa Lynn! My Partners mother worked in the Lancashire cotton mills back in the day. One of the things she did was jacquard work and we still have a pair of curtains that she wove hanging on our porch door.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooohhh the sofa is coming along nicely. The material is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG DOES NOT ACCEPT ANONYMOUS COMMENTS