Saturday 15 August 2020

Curtains, cardies and sofa surfing


Remember that £3.50 pair of barkcloth curtains, bought last year from the charity shop.  Well look what’s happened to them.


See the pocket, well that’s part of the ruffle from the top of the curtain.  The hem of the dress is the original hem from the curtains.


And look there’s not one but two matching bags to go with it.  One for my purse and bits and bobs and one for when there’s more serious stuff to be taken out with me, like sandwiches or a book.


And they’ve all been made by the super talented Gail at her new shop in Bacup, Rossendale, Lancashire near where we live.  Good luck Gail with your new venture.




I’ve also got a new cardi, a birthday present, worn here with my parrot dress from UK based designer/makers Palavafolk, who I discovered this year.  



This is the second cardi, knitted for me by the very talented Michelle of Pocket Full of Rosie’s.  My other one is sky blue. 



We may not be able to go out as freely or go to the places we used to but it doesn’t mean to say I have to be a slouch and wearing bright colours always lifts your mood and puts a smile on folks faces.

Here’s a few House of Holland facts to tickle you:

1. We’ve been together 41 years 
2. We’ve lived in the same house for 31 years 
3. We had the same sofas for 25 years
4. In 40 years we’ve only had 2 cookers, 2 washers, 
    2 fridge/freezers.
5. I’ve had the same car for 17 years 
6. Philip had the same motorbike for 20 years 
7. We have a 22 year old caravan in the lakes.

The reason I’m telling you this ? Well we are considering having our sofas recovered or buying new ones.  I’m chuckling because going off our track record I wouldn’t put my money on it happening anytime soon haha.


Watch this space.
We’ve got as far as going to a showroom.

In the meantime have a safe and happy
weekend.
Lynn
X



15 comments:

  1. The dress and bag are very beautiful, I would actually wear that and ask her to make me a hat to cover my head against this blistering heat!! The Cardigan is very beautiful as well.
    I am glad you are making a dent on the bike money!! As Paul seems to be spending those yen quite well, an air gun for his models landed on the mat The other day!!
    5 boring facts about the young family ,
    1: there are 6 of us but if I get my way there will be 7 by next year, the eldest is 53!! The youngest 3.
    2: we have lived here for 15 years, the home we currently reside in 10. As house prices decline in japan.
    3: we are both petrol heads and own a variety of motorcycles and cars, the eldest 2 are the same. I have never had and accident, neither has Paul.
    4: there is an 8 year age gap between me and paul, but I still love him, I met him when I was a nursing cadet and he had a bad accident and I had to look after him. He swore a lot, but you would if you were in that much pain and your hand had been pumped full of hydrollic fluid. He doesn’t swear now.
    5. I am a twin ! She looks nothing like me and is as fit as a fiddle . And has two cats the size of tigers!
    So there you go boring facts about me, i am not a nurse anymore I work in vintage retro fashion and I love it. Take care. Love and huggs allie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They’re not boring facts at all.
      Philip has a twin sister and we love both vintage retro gear. There’s a six year gap between me and Philip. I say he cradle snatched me.
      No kids but lots of beautiful godchildren, nephews & nieces to spoil and teach them all the wrong stuff heehee.
      Had another look round another sofa showroom today and ended up buying Mum a chair.
      Take care Allie. Nice to get to know you better xx

      Delete
    2. It’s funny we often call our husbands sugar daddies as me and sis both have older hubbies, hers is even older, she doesn’t have kids.
      I love old furniture, I love the way it is made, I often buy stuff from the junk man who has a shop near us. About 60 percent of our furniture is second hand and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Keep the suite and recover it . There rubbish now. My mum got one and it is as stiff as an ironing board!! They have had it 2 years it terrible. Mine is 10 years and it is soft squishy leather!!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous Lynn 😍 I particularly love the original curtain features, a lovely nod to her origins.

    Very excited for your [eventual] sofa update, whatever you end up going with! We're looking too and it's shocking how ugly or needlessly enormous 99% of them are... But I do enjoy loafing about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’ll be yonks before we find what we want I’m sure. Like everything in this house we don’t want any run of the mill stuff 🥴. We love loafing about like you x

      Delete
  3. Love the dress and bags, love the cardis, buy new sofas. Happy Sunday to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got two very talented friends, Lynn! I love Gail's dress and Michelle's card, they suit you to a tee.
    Steady on, is that motorbike money burning a hole in your bra? Plenty of life left in that sofa yet (I'm just jealous, Jon refuses to replace our knackered 16 year old one!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We’ve had these 25 years and had them recovered once. It’s dearer to have them recovered than buy you and we don’t want anything boring so we could be a while yet on this project. Yes the bike money is still stuffed down my bra haha xxx

      Delete
  5. laughed about the sofa, we are on our third since moving here 26+ years ago, our leather ones have lost the springs, we had them fixed once but they collapsed again, still can't part with them though, our conseratory chairs have bottoms that fell out and cushions that are disappearing downwards if sat in for too long, but they don't make them like these any more so I hang on to them! Its horrible trailing round showrooms but it is nice to have a new sofa, think you deserve one after all this time. Your dress is very pretty and when put with the cardi, is spectacular together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once we sort the sofas we will then be on with a carpet. We could be a while knowing us two. We won’t settle for any old thing x

      Delete
  6. Curtain couture at its best :-) And how lovely that your friend made you not one but two matching bags! Both cardigans are gorgeous as well. Our sofa is looking past its best, and a tear has appeared in one of the seat cushions. We have thrown a plaid over it for the time being, but will be on the lookout for a new one soon. Problem is, space is at a premium and most of the ones we like are too large! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The size is the problem we have. The space for them is quite specific. So we need a two seater and a 2.5 seater not with big arms.
      Watch this space. We could be awhile though xxx

      Delete
  7. Belated Happy Birthday wishes!
    I found your blog through Vix and I love it. Love the new dress too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Norma thanks for popping by and for the birthday greetings, so kind of you.
      Birthday outings are still going on. I love to go for meals with different groups of friends and family. I thought this year would have been a quiet one bit we’ve managed it one way or another.
      Hope you are keeping safe and well and thanks again for visiting me
      Lynn xx

      Delete

THIS BLOG DOES NOT ACCEPT ANONYMOUS COMMENTS