Sunday 7 June 2020

A Silver Birch tree and a man called Ernest


Very quiet on our lane today, probably because the weather has been pretty naff since Friday.  We even had hailstone at one point.


I wonder if people are having good days and bad days mood wise during these strange days ?  Yesterday going for petrol, for the first time in weeks, threw me.  Even though I had gloves on which I disposed of and washed my hands it left me very jittery and even the pleasure of visiting our favourite farm shop didn’t settle me.


Anyway back to today Sunday which was much better.  There was a lot to see on my walk.  My favourite Silver Birch tree.  I love the beauty of it,  the colour and how the leaves shimmer.  I use the tree as a meditation.  It’s roots firmly in the ground, it’s strong body is flexible and stretches and bends, looking upto the sky.  



The honeysuckle is coming through as the rhododendrons start to fade and the foxgloves are popping up everywhere.


Who needs a garden when all of this is on the track across from my house.

The highlight of my Sunday was stopping to chat to a lovely chap on the road that runs along the bottom of our lane.
Ernest, I think I am a little in love with this 90 year old chirpy character.  His wife and son died last year and he has a daughter who brings his shopping.  He told me I didn’t look 64 and I told him he didn’t look 90 and a friendship began. At the end of our conversation  I said I’ll come and have a cuppa with you when we are allowed and he said I’d be welcome anytime.


For now though I’m going to write him a letter and enclose some pictures of our garden gate displays and one of
me and Philip when we looked less like hillbillies.

I hope the weekend has been kind to you and you stay safe.  For us we still think it’s to early to go off gallivanting anywhere, so we will be sticking to shopping on our little open markets and popping down to Mum’s.

Lynn
xxx

7 comments:

  1. I think it's wonderful that you struck up a friendship with Ernest. I'm sure he is lonely without his wife and son. I bet he is tickled to death to get your letter.You have such a kind heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debi
      Ernest certainly lit a spark in my heart. What a lovely man. I’m wondering why I’ve never seen him before. He has been there 40 years and we have lived around the corner for 30. He is so upbeat and an absolute pleasure to chat to.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lynn, I think it’s wonderful to have a friendship like that, I live in shinjuku japan, I have lived in japan for 10 years now am escaped expat here. And through the virus we have gotten to know our neighbors as they are quite elderly. As we have to look after our own areas as a group effort me and husband have been looking after the area on our own which we don’t mind.
    We have grown really close to our neighbors and they have shared stories as we bought an old noodle shop and have slowly been turning it into a family home. They have treat me crafts and food.
    It’s been lovely. Vix told me about you. Keep safe and well. I will keep reading .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello all the way over in Japan, it’s lovely to meet you. What a wonderful thing you are doing for your neighbours. We all need to watch out for one another in these times and I hope you keep well.
    It was lovely of Vix to mention me. She’s a special friend who is keeping everyone going with her fabulous lockdown diaries.
    Take care and thanks for popping by.
    Lynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post, Lynn. The love your description of the silver birch tree and likening looking at it to meditation and those flowers growing in the wild are beautiful.
    We had a hailstorm over the weekend, too. Early June last year was awful, too.
    My dad was called Ernie. Its wonderful that you've struck up a friendship with Ernest, one thing that this pandemic has done is brought people closer together. That letter and the lovely photo of you both will really put a smile on his face.
    I'm delighted to see a comment from lovely Alison in Japan, I wish she's write a blog, I do look forward to getting a message from her.
    Much love to you both. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I lived on your lane, Lynn, it looks to peaceful and the scenery is just spectacular. I'm trying to get over my fear of being out and about, but there are still things that make me jittery, like walking through the streets near my office, where people often seem to forget about social distancing. That birch tree is wonderful and I love how you're using it as meditation. And how lovely that you've struck up a friendship with Ernest. He sounds like a wonderful character. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to tell you Ann that we are just the same about being out and about and today’s trip to the garden centre for compost and plants for Mum proved it. We were so uncomfortable and I wore a mask for the first time. There was no pleasure in the trip at all even though the garden centre staff were organised and pleasant. Take care you two. I’m popping over to yours now for a catch up xxx

      Delete

THIS BLOG DOES NOT ACCEPT ANONYMOUS COMMENTS