Friday 9 August 2019

Wayward Women


Yesterday we went to the Greater Manchester Police Station Museum On Newton Street, Manchester.


The reason for our visit was to see the solo exhibition of textile artist Jo Lloyd, who I had the pleasure of sitting next to a couple of years ago on a workshop at Gawthorpe Hall, led by Ruth Singer.


Jo’s exhibition “Wayward Women” is a study of women offenders held at the Manchester prison during Victorian times and is displayed in one of the cells.


The cell is a perfect setting for the exhibition.  How Jo has interpreted the subject into stitch is amazing.  I wouldn’t have liked to have been part of the Victorian working class, it was a very hard life indeed.




A huge congratulations to Jo on her achievement.  She should be very proud of herself.  I’m so glad we went to see it.


Here’s a bit of trivia before I go.  
Did you know that the toilet flush system in the cells was kept on the outside, with the toilet bowl itself inside.  It was so that the prisoners couldn’t use the chain to either harm themselves or the prison officers.  
Also there could be as many as 12 offenders in one cell at any given time.
I’ll leave that one to your imagination.




Sorry to have lowered the tone somewhat Jo with the toilet talk, but over at Annie’s Friday Smile blog we do like to stretch the imagination a bit.

Linking up with 

9 comments:

  1. You certainly stretched my imagination at the '12 in a cell' comment. They really dont know they are born now do they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don’t Annie. Not an experience I’d want to be trying even in this day and age

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much Lynn this is wonderful! I feel very honoured to be the subject of your blog. It was a fascinating subject to study there is so much amazing information about women's history their lives and stories in the archives, but I didn't know about the loo situation so I've learnt something too! Speak soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very interesting post. Love some of the textile art.
    12 in a cell - defies reason! Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a great exhibition. I miss Manchester in many ways though I must say Lincoln is a lot quieter and slower too in lots of ways especially as the trains still go through the middle of the city, could you imagine that still happening in Manchester! Have a lovely weekend too. Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an absolutely amazing post. I love anything textile, Lynn, and sewing is wonderful, even though I only sew using my machine. This was a lovely exhibition and I really enjoyed reading about both Jo and her art and the history involved in the Manchester jail. Like others, I'm aghast at 12 to a cell. Have a super weekend, since Friday is nearly in the history books in your part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jo's artwork is fabulous, and what a great setting for this exhibition. Wonderful photographs too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fascinating exhibition and a wonderfully atmospheric location. I love that first photo of you crazy pair! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn’t like to get locked up for real on one of those cells, they are so claustrophobic. Philip nearly had a fit when a kid shut the door haha xxx

      Delete

THIS BLOG DOES NOT ACCEPT ANONYMOUS COMMENTS