Monday 3 December 2018

Funny Coincidences

I do love a coincidence, don’t you ?

So, yesterday (Sunday) I was watching  historian Tiffany Watt Smith talking about her book “SCHADENFREUDE” on Sunday Brunch on Channel 4


You pronounce it SHAH:dən:froy:də

A few comments on the pronunciation

  1. In German 'sch' sounds like the English 'sh' in 'shop';
  2. The 'a' sounds most like the 'a' in 'father';
  3. the first and last 'e's are neutral vowels, so more of an 'uh' sound like in 'the';
  4. the 'eu' in German rhymes with 'boy'


The first coincidence came this morning while I was reading my library book, when blow me down with a feather the very word appeared in it.

But what does it mean, I hear you ask.  It’s when we laugh at someone else’s misfortune.  For example when someone trips up or spills something down their jumper or makes a mistake.  Do you get the picture.

The second coincidence was the fact that my sister is a real one for giggling when someone has a little misfortune.  Not in a nasty way, she just gets tickled very easily.
But not only that she is an avid reader of Alexander McAll Smith’s books.   So I guess that’s her Christmas presents sorted.

Factoid - SCHADENFREUDE is a German word and doesn’t translate into another language 

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I love when this happens, pure and utter happenstance, amazing! I love that word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love a freaky coincidence! I know that word and what it means but I hadn't a clue how to say it unil now so thank you!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, those Germans, they really have the most unusual, untranslatable words. I did know the word and I even knew how to pronounce it, but I do think all your readers will now know too! I love it when coincidences occur! xxx

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG DOES NOT ACCEPT ANONYMOUS COMMENTS