Sunday 1 October 2017

Kayaking in Birmingham


Ever thought of kayaking down the canals ?  
The nearest I got to it was when I went on a "cruise & crotchet" trip on the Manchester Ship Canal earlier this year.
The cruise was great my crotchet was rubbish.


British Author, tv presenter and horticulturist Alys Fowler kayaks along the Birmingham waterways and has written a book about it.


  
I loved it, even though I nothing about the area or about the plants that grow in and around the water.
Alys writes in a very descriptive way.  Each page sucks you in and you saver the words rather than rush through them..
Then the unexpected happens Alys starts to realise things about herself.   I won't say anymore in case you want to read it.



Now here's the rub.  While I formed a picture in my mind of the colour and shape of the kayak it would have been nice to see a photo of Alys sat in it like the one above.

My second rub is the fact that I'm not a horticulturist and so I couldn't visualise the plant life Alys sees in and along the canal.  It is beautifully described but if sketches or photos had been added it would have been a perfect read.

I'm going to print off the photo above and add it to the book and may well sketch/paint images of the plants onto the pages as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment

THIS BLOG DOES NOT ACCEPT ANONYMOUS COMMENTS