Monday 21 August 2017

Simple lines suit my simple mind


I sometimes think I have the strangest interests but then I thought well this one can't be that strange as its an exhibition in a famous gallery, The Whitworth on Oxford Road, Manchester, UK.


We went to see Verso by Cornelia Parker.
Parker is a British sculptor and installation artist who looks at every day objects and turns them into art.
She is often drawn to the back and underside of things, like in this exhibition where she  has looked at the back of button cards. Its such a simplistic thing but for some reason it draws me in.  



There is a book to accompany the exhibition which is very good.  
If you can't get to the exhibition it is available on Amazon at the same price as in the gallery shop.


I already had this book which is a fantastic catalogue of all her diverse work.  
  
Susan Hefuna "ToGather"

Another exhibition, which stretched across several rooms, is the work of Susan Hefuna.  Again simple lines and grids but so effective.  The exhibition "ToGather" showed each stage of her work, including  initial sketches and drawings, layering of papers, ink and stitch work.  All art in their own form.  Anyone interested in stitching, markmaking and Boro work will love it.

Book to accompany exhibition
AGAIN IF YOU CAN'T GET TO THE EXHIBITION
LINK TO AMAZON BOOK

The end constructed pieces filled the central room
 


There was so much to see including the striking floor to ceiling fabric designs of
 60's textile designer Barbara Brown.  


I kid you not when I say this is just a fraction of things to see at The Whitworth.  
I've not even mentioned the fabulous shop and the cafe which is so cleverly thought out.  It's a glass sided restaurant built out from the main building into the parkland. You feel like you are sat in the trees.  The menu and food are first class and if you are a vegetarian you'll be in heaven.


We both agreed we wanted to go back again very soon.
Amazingly entrance is free.  Now I don't mind my tax money going towards that.

Barbara Brown's work for Heals in the 60's & 70's

Japanese textile exhibition



4 comments:

  1. Wow, what an amazing gallery. Isn't it wonderful how art can make you look at things differently. As a button fan, I like the idea of looking at the back of button cards. The work of Susan Hefuna looks really interesting too. And those floor to ceiling fabric designs! Surely somewhere to visit if we ever make it to Manchester. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes you must come to Manchester Ann. Time it to coincide with Vix being at Stockport. What a fabulous time we will all have. We could get all our mutual friends together xx

      Delete
  2. I'm a massive art gallery fan - I even took part in a protest when the New art Gallery was threatened with closure last year. It's so bleak in many parts of our country these days we need art to maintain our sanity.
    I do love Barbara Brown's work. I've still got a couple of pieces of Mum & Dad's Heal's dinner service (the one in your photo) which I used to call "balls in boxes" when I was tiny!
    I haven't been to the Whitworth but it looks right up my street. I adore thought provoking stuff like Susan Hefuna's & Cornelia Parker's. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The back of things draw me in, too. xx

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG DOES NOT ACCEPT ANONYMOUS COMMENTS