Thursday 28 October 2021

The magic of our heritage


Wednesday I had my booster jab at a local chemist.
With the Pfizer vaccine apparently you have to sit quietly
for 15 minutes after having it to make sure everything is ok
and you don’t collapse on the floor in a heap.

I didn’t sit quietly, instead chatting with the pharmacist and her staff
about everything and anything, including how you never see Johnson’s 
Baby Soap anymore. Random I know but I loved the smell of it.

I had some lovely comments on my outfit and hair and
said you should see the wandering welder he’s a proper dapper chap. With
that I dashed outside to the car and dragged him in for them to ooh and
aah over.  


Waving us off and wishing us a good day, we said we'll call again showcasing
another outfit soon. Everyone had a good chuckle.


Sat nav at the ready we set off up the road to Gawthorp Hall an
Edwardian house built by the Shuttleworths, now a
National Trust property at Padiham, Burnley.


First up we went into the barn to see the Lost Threads exhibition that is
part of the British Textile Biennial event taking part around Lancashire.

It was quite awesome to see the 114 metres of Dutch wax fabric hung from the rafters
to reflect the movement of oceans and rivers used to transport cotton across the planet
over the centuries.


Although normally recognised as African a lot of the designs came from Holland
and more recently produced in China.






 Next we moved onto the House itself.  I’ve been many times
but it was a first visit for Philip.


The dining room all set up for Halloween


The sitting room plaster ceiling is original and dates back to c1604


The Shuttleworth textile collection 




My favourite thing is the wall coverings




The Long Hall




Amazing sewing desk




Main bedroom


There’s something magical about British heritage properties
don’t you think


Finally we looked at the NHS quilt collection, created in
honour of the support services during the covid pandemic.




This is just a small selection of the quilts
on display








Hope you’ve enjoyed our tour of
Gawthorpe Hall 



Linking up with


11 comments:

  1. Interesting to see the wax fabrics. I worked at Tootal in Manchester in the early 70's - a dream job as I had been dressmaking since being a young teenager. My boss gave me some indigo batik samples from Africa which I made into a bag. Why oh why did I ever get rid of it! Tootal long gone I imagine sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did both look very 'dapper' in your outfits. I can't pretend the old houses really move me but the waxed threads were interesting and the quilts were quite splendid. Thanks for sharing our visit with us. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was quite moved by those waxed threads. They certainly were all beautiful lengths of fabric.

    I was a bit sad that your photos didn't enlarge, as I would have enjoyed seeing the various quilts up close. What I could see, they looked beautiful.

    I wasn't impressed by the outside of that home, but the interior was stupendous. So glad you shared these, Lynn. Have a great rest of Friday and a lovely weekend, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, you both look very dapper. Great photo!
    I do miss Johnson's products. What about Johnson baby talc. Every baby used to smell so nice and that was thanks to Johnson as their products had a particular baby smell.
    Wow, wow and wow again! What a beautiful collection of fabrics! Who knew they were Dutch designs? (I didn't)
    The house is beautiful. I agree that the wall paper is gorgeous. I love to see how people lived in days gone by. The dresses are nice too. I noticed that one of the dresses was made of that 'African' fabric.
    The lace has made my eyes water. Such beauty and what a lot of work went into those. No wonder only the very rich could afford those.
    I liked seeing the quilts. I wonder what will happen to the good old NHS. It sounds like it is slowly going under if I have to believe my ex-colleagues who still work. I hope not of course. Another pandemic will be its death blow for sure. So I'm glad you had your booster. (I'm still waiting for mine. I wish we could just go to the pharmacy. That would be too easy).
    Have a lovely (hopefully not too scary) weekend,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fab place to visit with your dapper gent. Love the fabrics and clothing especially.
    Hugs,
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to hear you got your booster jab. Here in Belgium, only the over 65s are eligible, so I'll have to wait a while for mine yet. We always have to wait 15 minutes before leaving after our jabs, whether it's Pfizer or not.
    You are both looking splendid - I'm swooning over your coat! - and what an amazing place Gawthorp Hall is! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lynn, forgive me for being so late just had lots of distractions today. You both look very smart in the photograph. The house looks like a brilliant place to visit and the patterns on the fabrics are gorgeous, really love them. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots going on there Lynn, thanks for the reminder to visit one day soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Gawthorpe Hall, it looks just my kind of place! The way those bolts of West African Waxed Cotton are displayed are incredible and the dresses are stunning. How gorgeous is that wallpaper? I was doing my best not to dribble over the William Morris wallpaper at Wightwick on Friday, they don't make it like they used to, do thay?
    You and Phillip look very smart indeed. I'm glad the boosters went well - 10 days till we get ours! xxx
    PS I saw later blog post but it seems to have vanished before I could comment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great day. Ohhh those dresses, so gorgeous... We need to get out and see more of the delights of Lancashire's textile heritage after visiting the Whitworth! And what a stunning coat you're wearing, just beautiful lynn

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG DOES NOT ACCEPT ANONYMOUS COMMENTS