Sunday 24 January 2021

Another day, another book and Worzel Gummidge’s wife.


Saturday morning we woke up to yet another wall of fog and fall of snow.
Philip went to make the first cup of tea of the day while I finished off my book,
Away With The Penguins by Hazel Prior


I’m making a start on the library books I was allocated by the Request & Collect
Service at our local library next. I’ve read a few of Prue Leith’s novels and her memoirs
so I was pleased to find this one in the selection.


When I've finished that I think I’ll give this a go.  Rachel Joyce is an author I came
across in 2020 and liked her style. 

Please don’t ask me to do a review of books like in a bookclub because I can’t do it.
It turns me into that mute kid at school who would never put her hand up to answer questions.

Then in my working life I’d be laughing and joking and chatting at work all day but as soon as
we had to go into a staff meeting you couldn’t get a peep out of me.

So no don’t ask me what a books about.  I just read what comes along and then onto the next.


See this, it’s my gorgeous head of hair after I’d been bouffanted after 
the last lockdown.  Well let me tell you it’s not like that now.

Last time it was touched was 31st December.
I’ve got the sort of hair that only needs washing once every Preston Guild
and only has a colour three times a year.
It really is my crowning glory.


But look what happens when I’m left to my own devices.
Worzel Gummidge’s wife appears.

So roll on the end of lockdown and the reappearance of my beautiful
friend and hairdresser of some 30 years.  I’ve told her she will never
be able to retire.


If you are still following along with my blog ramblings, which seems to
be daily at the moment, then I thank you. It’s very kind of you.


As always let’s all stay safe as we are moving forward and that’s great.

Lynn
X

8 comments:

  1. You've got a gorgeous head of hair and it looked lovely yesterday for your shopping trip.
    I really enjoyed both Harold Fry and Queenie Hennessey. Rachel Joyce writes really well, not overly soppy or sentimental which I really worried both books might be. Like you I can't review stuff, I only know what I liked. Books are so personal! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I’ve found the blogger gadget for listing our books. Can’t get it to show on my iPad though so I’ll have a go on the office computer.
      Stretching the hair washing saga out a bit longer yet haha.xxx

      Delete
  2. Book clubs are definitely not my thing either. I joined one for a few months but hated a) feeling I had to finish a book I really was not interested in, and b) being expected to go into analytical detail as to why I did or didn't enjoy a book. And sadly I hadn't a clue sometimes what other readers were going on about, so pretentious! A friend who joined at the same time as I, still goes although she admits she does not enjoy it - I say life is just too short!

    I am so pleased you are posting more regularly; I don't know how you do it, but please keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so glad it’s not just me who doesn’t get on with book clubs. I tried a couple but I just couldn’t bring myself to join in.
      I even started a club at a care home I volunteered in but I let someone else lead it.
      It’s a lovely thing to be involved in if you’re confident enough to speak up and join in.
      Thanks for your lovely comment about regular blogging that’s so kind. It may only be a phase and I won’t post if I’ve nothing decent to say haha.
      Take care lovely. See you again xx

      Delete
  3. i don’t do book clubs they would find anime for kids, but I do love a good crime novel. We have gone into lockdown and my hairdresser promptly closed! But I can colour my own hair and use camilla oil to keep from looking like I have not just walked out from a tornado!
    You will have to get her to live with you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am envious of you being able to do your own hair. It’s just one of life’s things I can’t do, like crotcheting. My brain is not wired for it haha.
      Hope you’re all ok over there and your mum is ok over here xxx

      Delete
  4. Like you, I am absolutely hopeless at book reviews! I'm loving the sound of those two library books. They say don't judge a book by its cover, but I would definitely pick that Rachel Joyce one :-) I'm hearing you on the hair thing. Mine needs regular haircuts to stay in shape, and I'm not happy with the appearance of grey bits, so I keep it mostly hidden under a beret :-) Love the expression "once every Preston Guild", which I didn't know but which some googling revealed is a Lancashire thing! I'll be adding it to my repertoire! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I’m glad you like the expression Ann. I’ll have to come up with some more for you. I’m sure I’ve got plenty.
      I’ve read a few Rachel Joyce and like her. Miss Benson’s Beetle is a good one xxx

      Delete

THIS BLOG DOES NOT ACCEPT ANONYMOUS COMMENTS