Thursday 2 November 2017

Auntie Gladys and the horses


I had to take my lovely 85 year old Auntie Gladys to hospital on Thursday for an operation to remove a cancer on her hand so I thought I better dress nicely, didn’t want to let her down.


Here she is a few summers ago sat in her garden in her best straw boater.  Well she regaled the doctors and nurses with her tales about her interest in the horses and how she liked a bet on a Saturday and how she follows certain stables and owners.

The local Chinese chippy man calls her Mrs Hobbs after one of the owners and often asks her for tips.

When they asked her how she was going to manage on her own cooking she told them she was quite able to throw a few peas in a pan.



As we came out of the recovery area I spotted this painting on the wall and pointed it out to the nurses and we all had a good giggle. Auntie Gladys said “How’m I goin to write me bet out now with this pot on me arm” and set us all off laughing again.


There’ll be lots of hospital visits over the coming months so I better get my outfits sorted for more high jinx’s with Auntie Gladys.  The nurses loved my clobber especially when I said it was a combination of vintage and charity shop finds and recycled curtains, sheets and pillowcases.



Linking up with 

6 comments:

  1. I must say you do look very smart. Your Aunty sounds just like my husband's grandmother as she used to follow the horses and though she only ever bet small amounts of money she often won and was good for the tips though sadly she has gone to the big betting office in the sky. Gone but not forgotten xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your aunt sounds like a lot of fun! Oh! and yes very suitably dressed! Apologies for not being around much lately -travelling too much!! lol! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Auntie sounds like a lot of fun! And you, of course, are fabulously dressed as always. I guess there isn't the faintest of chances that the blue coat goes onto my heap? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Auntie sounds like a treasure. I hope I am still making folks laugh when I am her age.
    Your outfits are fascinating. i admire anyone who can recycle clothes like that. So well done!. Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice to read about someone else loving and repurposing second hand items. It's so much more fun to shop used and not know what treasure you will find rather than going into a new store where there are 15 of everything.

    You have a creative eye and artsy touch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your Auntie is better soon xx

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG DOES NOT ACCEPT ANONYMOUS COMMENTS