Sunday 28 April 2013

GIRLS DAY OUT

My sister Jill came home from Oxford for the weekend so we took the opportunity to go and visit Bankfield Museum in Halifax and the retrospective exhibition of VIVIENNE BROWN's textile and botanic art.

stitch -paper -fabric
Happily for me Vivienne was at the exhibition, which closes 5th May, so I had a chat with her.  A lot of her pieces were created by pinpricking paper with the sewing machine, sometimes adding thread.
 She adds fabric, papers and paint. The effects are wonderful.
Vivienne explained that this piece named RED BERRY was layered acetate, silk and wadding. The photo is not brilliant as the work was behind glass, but I think you can see the effect.

 This quilt of crinolene ladies is an earlier work.
 The white work is lace, paper and stitch.
 I really enjoyed this exhibition and seeing how the artist's style had changed and developed over a 40 year period. It was also nice to see that she had sold quite a bit of her early and recent work.
We then moved on to Hebden Bridge where there was an outdoor local food market.  It was buzzing and there were some great stalls.
We parked up next to the canal, 40p an hour..... compared to some places this is really cheap.  There are lots of indvidual shops in Hebden Bridge, Yorkshire and is well worth a visit.
 My sister bought me this little ceramic piece as a late Christmas present.  They are called BLOB BIRDS and are by HELEN RUSSELL. http://helenrussellcreations.com/ 

  It came from HEART GALLERY WWW.HEARTGALLERY.CO.UK

Link to a visit I made last year
VISIT TO HEBDEN BRIDGE 2012

5 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn, Vivienne's work is stunning, thank you for sharing that. I love the blob birds that you Sister bought you, it's gorgeous! Look forward to seeing it IRL soon...... Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful images. love the white work with paper and stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super exhibition of some really interesting pieces by Vivienne. What a great jaunt you had with your sister and I love the gift she bought you.
    Love Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an absolute treat to not only see such very beautiful work but to meet the actual artist too! All pieces different but each as gorgeous as the other.
    Your blob birds are very cute and what a lovely gift from Jill. Hope to pop over to the website later on :0) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a lovely time, those pieces by Vivienne Brown look fabulous.
    I'm a fan of the blob birds too, last time I got to Hebden Bridge it was still badly affected by the floods - about time I got there again I think :)

    ReplyDelete

THIS BLOG DOES NOT ACCEPT ANONYMOUS COMMENTS